Queensland winters are balmy, all three weeks of them. Spring is in the air. I must rouse myself from (relative) hibernation to action a hectic time of Author Talks, readings, writers’ festival sessions. And music.
Sunny Sunshine Coast Book Launch
Sunshine Coast International Readers and Writers Festival director Wendy O’Hanlon launches Midnight Sun to Southern Cross at 10.15 on Sunday 13 August.
“Writing Life Stories: Herding Black Sheep, Cupboard Skeletons and Libel Threats!”
Coolum, Saturday 12 August 11.30am.
Ruth urges; “What more precious gift to relatives and future generations than to write a family history or memoir? Do it now, before stories and insights are lost to dementia and coffins. This session offers tips to chart through choppy familial waters.”
FinnFest presentation, Sat 19 August 11 am
A tale of two brothers (the black sheep and the powerhouse businessman) who emigrated from Finland to Australia round 1900 to escape conscription into the Russian army. Book signing and presentation hosted by Finncare. Video and audio footage and photographs illustrate readings from archival letters and Ruth’s books: Burn My Letters and Midnight Sun to Southern Cross.
Includes live music:
- Sibelius’ Swan of Tuonela played by Finnish musician Emily Salonen (cor anglais) with pianist Peter Crane.
- Ruth will play a Menuetto by Finnish composer Bernhard Crusell on clarinet.
- Finnish music from her grandfather’s home village played by string quartet.
Readings from Midnight Sun to Southern Cross of Ruth’s childhood memories of W. A. Back’s iconic Art Deco Hawken Drive “Big House with a lift in it!” and his part in the early development of St Lucia.
He emigrated in 1902 to escape conscription into the Russian army.
- ASHGROVE Library, Saturday 2 September 1–2pm. Bookings: 07 3407 1940
- TOOWONG Library, Friday 22 September 10–11 am. Bookings: 3403 2590
- CORINDA Library, Tuesday 26 September 10.30–11.30. Bookings: 3407 7701
FREE events but bookings essential.
(For details type Ruth Bonetti in the RH search web space.)
The Brisbane Symphony Orchestra season of delicious Mozart and Mahler is a pleasure to rehearse. We’ll perform Marriage of Figaro Overture, Piano Concerto No 22 with Suzanna Hlinka and Mahler 4th Symphony on 10 September (Sunshine Coast) and 17 September (Brisbane).
Life is never dull! Seize the moment. Enjoy.
- And enjoy reading Jeanette O’Hagan’s review!